Ashes of Winter
- Cool (how well you act under fire)
- Hard (violence/toughness)
- Hot (charisma)
- Sharp (intelligence)
A sixth, called HX is used to measure how well you know or don’t know everyone else. You can use it to help or hinder people. There are eleven basic character types. Each has there own set of character generation criteria, including special abilities.
The system is very simple. Actions covered by the system are called moves. You roll 2d6 and add one of the stats. Six or less, you’ve failed and there will be consequences. Ten or higher, you’ve succeeded and get what you want. Seven, eight or nine, you succeed, but there will be consequences. Each specific move has its own sets of results.
READ A PERSON
When you read a person in a charged interaction, roll+sharp. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 1. While you’re interacting with them, spend your hold to ask their player questions, 1 for 1:
- Is your character telling the truth?
- What’s your character really feeling?
- What does your character intend to do?
- What does your character wish I’d do?
- How could I get your character to __?
SEIZE BY FORCE (which means act violently against someone/something)
When you try to seize something by force, or to secure your hold on something, roll+hard. On a hit, choose options. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7–9, choose 2:
- You take definite hold of it
- You suffer little harm
- You inflict terrible harm
- You impress, dismay or frighten your enemy
Player characters can be one of eleven different classes. The idea is the PCs all known each other and are basically allies at the start, but don’t have to be friends. The standard choices are:
- Angel: medic/doctor/surgeon… begins with an Angel kit (medical kit) can have an infirmary
- Battlebabe: dangerous and hot… not necessarily female… begins with a custom weapon
- Brainer: “the weird psychic mindfucks of Apocalypse World”
- Chopper: Motorcycle gang leader… gets a bike and a gang at the start.
- Driver: Gets a vehicle at the start
- Gunlugger: A warrior with weapons and armor to start
- Hardholder: In charge of a settlement… has a holding and a gang to control it
- Hocus: a charismatic cult leader or prophet… starts out followers and a psychic abilities
- Operator: Making a profit from disaster… stats with various gigs (businesses).
- Savvyhead: Mechanic with a touch of psychic… starts with a workspace.
- Skinner: Artists, musicians, collectors, craftsmen.
You can check out the playbooks for each of the characters in this pdf file
Limited Edition Playbooks
- Quarantine: A survivor of the Fall that has just escaped from stasis.
- The Touchstone: A living symbol of hope and a better future.
- Maestro D’: The owner of a thriving establishment in the wasteland.
- Hoarder: A scavenger with a hoard of stuff, including some very useful stuff.
- Faceless: The man or woman behind the mask. And there’s a reason for that.
These are playbooks I’m developing.